Boca Raton History
The Boca Raton Historical Society and Historic Preservation
Since its founding the Boca Raton Historical Society has been the city's principle agency for historic preservation. In 1974, as a result of a campaign spearheaded by the BRHS, the city of Boca Raton passed an historic preservation ordinance which created the Boca Raton Historic Preservation Board. In 1979, the BRHS initiated a series of preservation projects with the restoration of the ca. 1914 house, Singing Pines, which was moved and opened as Boca's first children's museum. This was followed by the relocation of the ca. 1930 portico of the Cabana Club porte-cochere to South Inlet Park, in 1981. In 1984, the BRHS completed the restoration of the 1927 Town Hall, opening it to the public as a museum. In 1988, the Society celebrated the opening of the restored 1930 FEC Railway Depot, today used daily for civic and educational purposes. In 2004, the BRHS completed the interior restoration of two 1947 streamline rail cars: the Boca Express Train Museum.
The Boca Raton Historic Preservation Board
The Boca Raton Historic Preservation Board (BRHPB) is a quasi-judicial city advisory board, which recommends historic site designations and certificates of appropriateness for alterations to previously designated properties to the Boca Raton City Council for approval. The Boca Raton Historical Society is by code permitted one representative on this board; beyond this the Historical Society itself has no powers with regards to historic designations or administration of the code, other than advocacy and support.