The 15,000 acres of land now comprising the City of Weston was first amassed in the 1950's by a gentleman named Arthur Vining Davis, the original owner of Weston's primary developer, ARVIDA. Over the course of the ensuing years, plans were prepared as to how the land would be developed and how that development would be financed, and the area now known as Bonaventure was sold to be developed separately. The development was originally known as Indian Trace, and in 1978 with the first of what would be many development plans complete, the Indian Trace Development of Regional Impact (DRI) was approved, which permitted in excess of 25,000 dwelling units to be constructed, although subsequent amendments reduced that number to 17,000. Shortly thereafter, in 1981, the Indian Trace Community Development District was created for the purpose of financing and managing the construction, maintenance and operation of water and sewer mains, water management bodies, and arterial roadways, and was governed by a five-member developer appointed Board of Supervisors. The name of the Arvida development was changed from Indian Trace to Weston, and in 1984 the first homes were completed in Windmill Ranch and Country Isles, and Weston had its first residents.
In November 1991, with over 5,000 residents in Weston, and with the Indian Trace Community Development District ten years old, it was now time for residents to be elected to three of the five seats on the Board of Supervisors; Harry Rosen as Chair, Kim Ballis as Vice Chair, and Mark Myers as Treasurer. In November 1993, residents were elected to the remaining two seats on the Board of Supervisors, giving residents full control of the district, adding Eric Hersh and John Flint.